Friday, May 9, 2008

not waving...

So I'm supposed to be writing a final paper on the Stevie Smith poem "Not Waving but Drowning" and I was thinking about what this poem is saying... everyone thinks this persons life is great but no one really knows how bad things are for them and how much they really need help until it's too late.

This isn't at all related to my feelings about MY life right now... it's the people surrounding me... personally I'm really happy with how my life is going.


"Not Waving but Drowning" -Stevie Smith

Nobody heard him, the dead man,
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he's dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.

No comments: